Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Do mortising attachments for drill presses work?

The bit bores a round hole using an electric motor and the square chisel
cuts the four sides by using downward force using lever action. On a drill
press the downward lever is short and the pressure on the square chisels is
not effective.
On a dedicated mortiser the square chisel is driven downward with a much
longer lever arm mounted on a much larger rack and pinion.
So when you lower the lever down while boring the round hole the square
chisel cut effectively and smoothly.

"CW" wrote in message
nk.net...
Yes, I've tried it. Want one? I'll send you this one for the cost of
shipping.

"Chuck" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have seen the Beadlock loose tenon system (http://www.beadlock.com/)
and, although I haven't bought it yet, it looks like a great idea. They
try to sell you the tenon stock but I think I would just opt for the
router bit and make my own. Anyone here tried this system?

Chuck