Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller Toller is offline

Default Near Disaster Today!

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
et...
In article .com,
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

Whenever I am pushing, I try to see what path my hand will take if
things go fast and really try to never have it traveling in the deadly
path.

I read some good advice here a while back: ask yourself where your hand
would
go if the wood suddenly disappeared.

Yes, that is the obvious lesson, but sometimes (especially with a jointer or
router table) there is no other way to hold it. I was putting a roundover
yesterday and thought about just that idea. It would have been really
clumsy not to have moved my hands over the bit. It is hard to see how the
work piece could have disintigrated, but I have heard of pieces breaking up
in the jointer.

None of this has any bearing on my accident. It would have been perfectly
simple to have been steadying it with a block of wood rather than my left
hand!