Posted to alt.home.repair
Not@home Not@home is offline

Default Garden sprinkler control?

There is a world of difference in quality between what is sold at an
irrigation supply house and what is sold at a home center, even if it is
the same brand. The price differential is not, in my experience, much
at all.

So my suggestion would be that you contact a couple of irrigation supply
houses and find what brand they carry, then do research on that brand as
to what you will need. I've dealt with irrigation supply houses in two
states, and they have always been very willing to offer advice and make
sure I have everything I will need.

My guess is that you will need to replace your valves with solenoids,
find a way to get them all wired into where you will have the
controller, and get a controller. You may want to get the
solenoids/controller (some solenoids have a manual adjustment; some, I
think, can be adjusted from the controller) that are adjustable, and one
of the units that measures how wet your yard is and interrupts the
sprinkler when it is raining. I like a very fully automated system, as
I set mine to water very early in the morning, since I have read this is
the best time since the water sinks into the ground before the sun is up
to evaporate it, and doesn't sit on the grass (as it would if you
watered at night), which can lead to disease.

I've had very good results with the contractors grade of Rainbird; my
son has had good results with another brand (I forget which), but I
think the contractors grade of any manufacturer is probably very good.

Jimi wrote:
Hello,

I am in Canada and realize this is "out of season" but since I have a
few days off I thought I would do some research into buying a garden
sprinkler control. We live on a small acerage (ranch) and have six
underground sprinkler grids connected to a manifold with manual ball valves.
I have been manually turning on the valves for each grid for the past 10 or
so yrs. I wish to update to electric valves operated by a central control
located inside the house. (Plan on taking extended holidays this coming
summer)
My question is what do you have for this type of control? Does anyone
have any recomendations for what kind, brand type etc to buy or what to stay
away from?
. I consider myself to be "fairly" good at figuring out timers
etc, but don't want something so complicated I'll need a PHD in electronics
to operate. In addition, can anyone comment on what type of electric valves
to buy?

Thanks Group for any constructive replies...Jimi