Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] bbcrock@gmail.com is offline

Default dust coming from crack in wall

I have an 100 yr old town house that suffered termite damage over the
years, at least one time majorly around 1985.. I don't have the cash
to do a complete overhaul, but am doing things incrementally. such as
replacing all the hardwood flooring in one floor of my house. I have
an annual termite inspection and they were found once and treated. I
last had a full treatment in July. My neighbors have the same
experiences, so I'm not unique- we're near woods and a creek, so
there's lots of wet wood nearby.

Generally it's an old house with lots of settling. It was also
imperfectly rehabbed.

I have many cracks in the plaster and one, which happens to face an
outside wall has a weird effect. If I seal the window and slam the
door, little bits of termite-chewed wood come out. I did a visual
inspection and do not see any holes in the old mortar (though
repointing is in my future) and I held a wet finger to the crack and
didn't feel any wind or cold air.

Has anyone seen this before?

Don