Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] barry@sme-online.com is offline

Default Quote a contract?

Chris Birkett wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
I had asked the OP a question which went unanswered. It gets to the
root of the matter. If the father felt comfortable letting the
contractor work unsupervised while he was out of the country, and
agreed that additional work needed to be done due to unforeseen
conditions, why is the son getting involved? Is he "protecting" his
father or just sticking his two cents into something he doesn't
understand?

The real root of the matter is that he DIDN'T agree to pay for
additional work. I don't see how my motivation affects this.

You will not get complete information from the son, as it's his opinion
that the work was unnecessary and it's only one side of the story.
Besides that, he wasn't part of the agreement. Did you wonder why the
father didn't tag the son to be the supervision while he was away?
Kind of curious, no?

I don't understand why this bothers you so much. When did I say the
work was unnecessary? As it stands, the extra charge has not been
justified at all, and the work has not even been completed to
satisfaction. I *was* dealing with the repair people while he was
gone, and additional costs were never mentioned. Both my mother and I
were readily available to discuss it on any of the several days they
were here, and they knew my dad was available by e-mail.

Chris

Lots of sound and fury about not-much here, eh? Let's wrap this up-
ask your dad to work this out with the tradesman, one-on-one, and
maybe info us on the resolution.

We all go through learning experiences, maybe even learn something.