Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Advice on new Dishwasher Features

wrote in message

1) Is a stainless steel tub better that a plastic tub? I've had both
in the past, but don't really know if the extra money for a SS tub is
worth it.

2) Self Cleaning screen with impeller or not? I'm looking at the
Bosch and Kenmore dishwashers and each has a manual clean filter vs. an
impeller/self-cleaning one.

Start with the basics. Any DW today will clean better than any DW from 15
years ago. If you are upgrading, most any appliance will be at least
satisfactory.

Next is features. How many cycles do you want? We have a lot of them, but
only use the sani-clean 99% of the time.

The more expensive models often have better soundproofing. Our Kitchen Aid
can hardly be heard.

Getting back to your questions, SS has the benefit of being stainless.
Some plastic interiors have discolored over time, but this does not affect
performance. If it does not leak, it does its job. I've heard of some
plastic housing cracking over the years.

I like the ability to be able to clean the filter. That is not a big deal
and a once or twice a year thing. Most disposers can get rid of soft food.
I'm old school and don't want a lot of crud in the DW. Scrape and sometimes
give s one second rinse.

We bought a Kitchen Aid (third one in 40 years) and like it a lot. We
looked at Bosch. Our local dealer said they are one of the best for
cleaning, but they have had more service calls than any other brand they
carry. Kenmore can either be made by Whirlpool or Frigidaire. The
Whirlpool ones are very good; the Frigidaire are cheaper and less reliable.