Posted to alt.home.repair
Malcolm Hoar Malcolm Hoar is offline

Default Advice on new Dishwasher Features

In article om, wrote:
Hi, Guys.

I'm considering a new DW soon and wanted your opinion/experience with
the following:

1) Is a stainless steel tub better that a plastic tub? I've had both
in the past, but don't really know if the extra money for a SS tub is
worth it.

SS has to be better. However, all of my dishwashes have had
plastic tubs and those tubs have never given me a single
hint of a problem. So although the SS is better, it's
probably not worth much of a price premium especially if
you're on a tight budget.

If money is not an issue, go for the SS anyway ;-)

2) Self Cleaning screen with impeller or not? I'm looking at the
Bosch and Kenmore dishwashers and each has a manual clean filter vs. an
impeller/self-cleaning one.

I know most people like the convenience of a self-cleaning filter, but
my personnal experience with an impeller is that it's something to
eventually go wrong or break. They either get jammed with an object or
just fail. I don't mind periodically cleaning a manual filter. Is one
superior over the other??

Yup, I reckon it's a toss up too.

Some of the better Bosch models have NO exposed heating
element. I find that feature very attractive. It's not
uncommon for some small item to move during the wash/
rince and end up being toasted by the dryer element. The
damage to a plastic utensil, smell and (small) fire risk
are worth avoiding I think. My next dishwasher will have
that feature!

Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |