Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default my poor garbage disposal

On 14 Nov 2006 21:34:19 -0800, wrote:

I don't see the alleged hex-shaped hole there,

It is probably there whether you have seen it yet or not. 80% of the
garbage disposals, in the US at least, are made by In-sink-erator, and
they all have the hole. If you don't have the wrench, it's sold
separately and it's a dollar or two, or three, and is better for this
than a standard allen wrench of the same diameter.

but your suggestion has
made me think I should possibly contact the manufacturer and ask them
what they recommend for clearing a jam in general (I don't think I'll
mention the paint just yet - don't want to look like more of an idiot
than I already do).

So to save your pride, in front of a stranger, and after you've
already told the hundreds or thousands who read this group what you
did, you're going to waste the time of the manufacturer's employee??

Would you go to a doctor for stomach cramps and leave out the fact
that you ate poison? Or are you trying to build a long-term
relationship with whoever reads your email?

First, it's not going to do them or you any good to discuss jams in
general, without discussing your jam.

Second, don't waste a person's time, who can't do better than send you
a copy of what someone else there has already written. If you want,
read what it says about jams in the instructions if you have them, and
on their webpage.

Third people here told you what you can do. Take that wrench (just a
hex shaped rod, bent once or twice) and turn the rotor back and forth
until it frees up.

They presumed you had plastic drain pipes and not metal. If you do
have plastic, you can remove the whole disposal (easy. Turn off the
fuse or circuit breaker first) and try the acetone. Then flush out
the acentone well before putting the disposal back. This assumes your
disposal is old enough that IT has a metal case, or that the plastic
case it has won't be ruined by acetone. You don't want the whole
thing melting.

Unless you can think of another method for
clearing a jam? Or somewhere else to find that hole?

It's in the middle. Use a mirror, or get down low.

tiger

Steve Barker LT wrote:
The acetone could be harmful to pvc. There should be a hex shaped hole on
the bottom of the unit to put the once included wrench into to clear a jam.
Procure the proper hex (allen) wrench, and see if you can free it that way.

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am an amateur artist, just beginning to learn this craft. Last night
I made the boneheaded mistake of pouring leftover acrylic paint into my
garbage disposal. Now my poor garbage disposal appears to be jammed
tight - it only hums when I switch it on (which I only do for a second,
because I don't want to burn out the motor).

I don't actually have any direct proof that the paint caused the
problem, but my gut instinct tells me it did. Acrylic paint can be
dissolved with acetone, but if I pour this into the garbage disposal,
won't it all just run through and go down the drain? (The drain itself
isn't plugged; water still flows through, but the unit won't spin).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

tiger