Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Old Gernanium Transistor Repair

wrote:

only cost two dollars. So I put the radio in the freezer for 30 minutes
and took it out and it didn't work at all. Then I applied a hot
sodering iron to the body of the oscillator transistor and it very
quickly started working again. Seems the oscillator doesn't run at low
temperature.

Would you guess the solution is a silicon transistor? or just adjust
the bias on the existing germanium transistor?

-Bill

neither, increase the stage gain. That probably means higher collector
R or similar. You may then need to adj the bias a little.

Or with an old radio like that it might just be biased way wrong, where
gain is down. Meter it and see where Vce sits when not oscillating.

NT