Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
skeez skeez is offline

Default Looking for a thread size

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 20:16:47 -0500, Prometheus
wrote:

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 14:08:11 -0700, "william_b_noble"
wrote:

take your dial calipers, measure the minor diameter of the thread and drill
the hole to that size (or about .010 over). then, oil (or wax, or soap) the
inside of the hole and the threaded part of the shift lever and slowly work
the knob onto the metal - the metal will form the threads in the knob - turn
about a half turn, then back off 1/4, then forward 1/2, back 1/4 until it's
on all the way

Think I'll try this one first (hardware store is closed for the
holliday)- if it splits, then I'll check out the hardware store on
Monday. Thanks to everyone for the advice, looks like I've got quite
a few different options there, and some of them I hadn't thought of.

another option is to find a bolt the right size and grind some flutes
in it lengthwise to make your own tap. this works fine on wood and is
a lot cheeper than a tap for just one use.

skeez