Posted to rec.woodworking
Bruce Barnett Bruce Barnett is offline

Default Comments wanted on Jet JPM-13CS Planer/Molder

"bf" writes:

I guess I don't understand.. it was my understanding that this
machine is a thickness planer.

I'm not an expert in this, but I am talking about the Jet JPM-13CS. I
see people talk about thickness planers, as if they are different from
planers.

(Reading some more via the web.)

Ah. A joiner is also called a Joiner/planer because it can flatten
one side.

A thickness planer has an adjustable thickness setting to ensure the
two faces are parallel.

So the Jet planer/moulder is also a thickness planer as it has the upper guide.
Got it.

I've used a portable planer to make 12" by 12" by 1/4" boards.
That's my only experience.

As for the comment about rust - it has been sitting unused and
untouched and neglected for 5 years. Since the trip will take 5 hours
round trip, I don't know the exact condition.