Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Old guy Old guy is offline

Default Sandpaper

Since I use it (mostly) at the lathe I've set up my "system"

At the lathe, I use 1/4 sheet pieces, folded into quarters, with one seam
ripped, so that grit doesn't touch grit. I keep all of them (and the discs
for my 2" disc sander) in an old sour cream container. (Well usually. What
I mean is that when I pick up the work area, they go back into there, so
they are available when I want to sand. Just grab the container.)

I also keep the rest of the full sheets of each grit clipped with a thesis
clip in that same container. The rest of the full sheets are kept in their
cardboard backing from the store, flat in a drawer.

That means that when I wear out one of the quarter sheets, I just pull the
replacement out of the pack (and THROW AWAY THE OLD WORN OUT ONE SO I DON'T
PICK IT UP AGAIN! EVER!) and keep on sanding. When I have used all 4
quarters, I have to trek to the drawer, pull out the next sheet and rip it
into quarters, but I probably needed the break anyhow.

I still find folded sandpaper lying around (I wonder who does that?) but on
straighten up, it goes back to the sour cream container, and gets used up
and then thrown away.

To me, having the stock of quarter sheets easily available, and throwing
away the worn out pieces seems to reduce the hassle.

"triker3" wrote in message
OK we all use it at some point, but what is the best way to keep it from
floating all over the shop when you use small strips or little pieces?
TIA