Posted to alt.home.repair
Stubby Stubby is offline

Default Quote a contract?

Chris Birkett wrote:
My dad recently had a guy in to repair the chimney, and he quoted a
specific amount for a basic repair. After he started working on it, it
became obvious the chimney needed much more extensive repairs, and he
gave my dad a new quote, which they agreed on. My dad was in the US
for most of the time the repairs were being done, and the guy has now
given him a bill that's $1100 higher than the quote, saying he had to
do "extra work" and my dad wasn't available to discuss it (though my
mother was here the whole time). He also hasn't done a couple of minor
jobs he agreed to do at the same time.

Most states have a Statue of Frauds that requires all contracts for more
than $500 and for Real Estate deals to be written; otherwise, courts
will not enforce the contract.