Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default energy loss through recessed lighting

Most recessed fixtures have holes or slots inside the baffle. If you
need/want to run insulation over the fixtures, you need IC frames and if you
don't want air from below to escape through the fixtures, you need air-tight
fixtures. Typically when IC and air-tight are required, you are very limited
in wattages, which are usually pretty low

wrote in message
ups.com...
I've heard about this issue as well... where does the air escape from?
Are their holes in the fixture or around where the fixture meets the
drywall?

I'm curious if I should get the airtight units myself, as I need IC
type remodel fixtures.

Also, what kinda bulbs do you use in these things? I'm planning on
putting 16 in my 40x20ft living room in this pattern

| x x x x |
| x x |
| x x |
| x x |
| x x |
| x x x x |

could I get the wattages low enough to keep from sunbathing in my
living room?