Posted to rec.woodworking
DonkeyHody DonkeyHody is offline

Default Gluing up a turning block

DonkeyHody wrote:
Toller wrote:
I am probably making too much out of this, but it is my first time and all
that.

I am gluing up a turning block; sandwiching spalted maple between wenge.
What glue to use? Is PVA adequate, or polyurethane, or epoxy?

Yesterday I turned a plate that was simply taped onto the faceplate; so I
expect PVA will do fine, but I would rather benefit from other's experience
than my own.

You're right, you're making too much of it. PVA is stronger than the
wood itself, especially when you have such a large glued surface.

Sorry, when I first answered I failed to recognize that the wenge is
the source of your worry. I think that given the large glue area,
you'll be fine if you plane or sand immediately before gluing.

DonkeyHody
"The cheapest things in life are free."