Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair,rec.food.cooking
krw krw is offline

Default OT Fahrenheit

In article ,
says...
On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 08:07:04 -0500, krw wrote:

In article ,
says...
On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 14:19:07 -0500, krw wrote:

Mainframes are *not* specified for office environment (rather
"Class A") though. There is a difference between a "departmental
server" and a data center mainframe.

I am not sure what machines you are talking about but 4300s and AS400s
were office space rated. These were around before most people had ever
heard of a server or a LAN.

Ok, let me try again, slower. AS/400 and 4300s are/were what we
now call "departmental servers". /370, ES/9000s were relegated to
data centers and are rated for a "class-A" environment only. Note
that "office space" rating isn't exactly harsh either.

I wouldn't exactly call a 4331,41 & 81 class machines a department
server. It was the replacement for 370 M138-158 class machines.

THat's exactly how they were used. BTW the replacement for the
3138-3158 class was the 3031.

The AS/400 actually out performed that series in black box form.
The word mainframe became fairly ambiguous anyway when they became
nothing more than a rack of RISC cards.

Is an xSeries a "mainframe"? Is it a "rack of RISC cards"?

It is one reason I left. The
computer business got very boring for a hardware guy. When the CPUs
pumped water and the disk drives pumped oil it was fun to do. The
hardware job became pluck and chuck. The Physical planning rep job
pretty much just went away too. What pass for mainframes these days
would run fine in a warehouse.

You were a CE? Hardware development is still interesting.

BTW offices are still FCC class A environments. B is residential

I don't believe I said anything about the FCC. I didn't even know
they cared about temperature or humidity.

--
Keith