Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Home Depot and Gas Furnace Installation

Smarty wrote:
I have used Home Depot installers a couple times. They are subcontractors,
and not Home Depot employees. The experiences I had were that the subs tried
to minimize their effort by treating anything and everything as an upcharge,
and rushed the jobs to get them done quickly rather than correctly. They
have no stake in your satisfaction since their own reputation and business
name are never revealed directly. The $1000 door I bought from Home Depot
which they installed, for example, was treated like a $100 door, and I had
to go back to Home Depot to get a credit for incomplete installation.

I personally have found that small local contractors seem to charge about
the same or perhaps a bit more, but do a better job. Home Depot runs its
business in a sloppy way IMHO when it comes to this type of stuff, but
perhaps this is just a local issue and others may feel very differently.

Smarty

It would be next to impossible to do it any other way. They don't pay
the contractors much (just like they treat their employees) so the
contractor is going to give that level of service and they go for the
upcharge so maybe they can have fries with that burger for lunch.