Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Home Depot and Gas Furnace Installation

wrote:
I got an estimate from Home Depot, and that was their first mistake.
They sent out a rep from a semi-local HVAC dealer who was Mr. Hard Sell
all the way: "I can only offer this price today. I can't guarantee
the price unless you commit right now. How about I call my manager and
we come up with an absolute rock-bottom deal? What do I have to do to
sell you this system?"

I told him what he had to do was wait until I'd talked to the other
contractors I'd also asked to come by and give me estimates. Glad I
did, as it turned out his rock-bottom deal was the highest of all, more
than twice the next guy's.

Jo Ann

My cousin (single woman) did the same thing. The guy immediately
informed her that she was in danger because of her heating system and
that it should be totally replaced ASAP. I hooked her up with a
reputable guy I know who checked out everything and made some small
repairs and adjustments for not a lot of money leaving her with a safe
system and money in her wallet.