Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Aiwa AD6900 tape deck of about 1980, light sensitivity

N Cook wrote:

Useful extra user functions , so owner wants repair
Does anyone know if the r/c receiver marked "sensor" also has a function
controlling the lamps on the front, for varying room lighting?

I dont know the deck, but this is very unlikely.

R/C tr and rx are both early almost discrete components

This deck stopped responding to the r/c.
Transmitter was ok , receiver diode ok but nothing coming out of the first
op amp. The o/p is dc coupled to the next stage.
Replaced the LF357 and m/c works all functions but only in subdued lighting.
If room light is too bright then there is not even manual control of the
deck functions let alone the r/c, kill the room lighting and normal service
is resumed.

not using fl lighting by any chance are you? I'm thinking if the tx is
discrete it wll be as simple as poss, an the system might be struggling
with heavy 100Hz flicker. Perhaps... the manual function lockout might
perhaps be due to it seeing a signal from the room lighting, though not
one that gives it any recognisable command. Kinda waving finger in air
here, someone might actually know, but its something easy to check for.

NT