Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default A modest proposal

"Leuf" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 08:18:23 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Depends on what you're doing--brass is mainly decorative. It's also the
"right" fastener to use when attaching something made of brass--you don't
want whatever is being attached to become a sacrificial anode for your
fasteners. For a "brass" piano hinge brass-plated steel is usually the
"right" fastener as the hinge itself is usually brass-plated steel. If
it's
solid brass then brass would be the matching fastener. In either case
using
bronze wouldn't gain you anything as if the fasteners are sufficiently
exposed for galvanic action to be an issue then so is the hinge.

My piano hinge is solid brass. But, I don't see anyone selling brass
plated steel screws that match. Lee Valley has antique brass plated,
but not shiny brass. I'd use em if I had em, and leave the solid
brass for softwoods.

Try McFeelys--http://www.mcfeelys.com

-Leuf