Rex B

Default Oil Filter Study

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html

| http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html
|

| michael
|

| I used to use Fram filters because the anti-drainback valve was
|well-designed. Then I started getting bearing and valve noise on
|startup, so I cut apart the filter and found that Fram had gone cheap
|on the valve, with no metal backing plate or spring behind the rubber
|disc. Bought two Pennzoil filters, used one and cut the other apart.
|Much better valve assembly. Bought some Kralinators (used to sell them
|in the '70s) and found that they had gone cheap, too. I've cut a
|variety of filters open and found that most are poorly made and look
|like they're made in China now. The drainback valve rubber wrinkles in
|hot oil and would be no good in any case.
| The filter media in some is thin and has holes big enough to
|drive a Kenworth through.
| When Pennzoil goes cheap I don't know what I'll do. Maybe make an
|adapter plate with a built-in anti-drainback in it?
| Maybe a couple of big lawsuits might force the filter makers to
|smarten up and put in the quality we're paying for...
|
| Dan
Dan
Better re-check that Pennzoil filter regularly. Like most, they farm
production to the lowest bid. Quality will depend on the specs they give to the
producer. Last Iooked Pennzoil filters were at the low end of the scale.
I stick with Wix whenever possible. they don't compromise quality.
Rex in Fort Worth