Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

Default Comments wanted on Jet JPM-13CS Planer/Molder

Bruce Barnett wrote:
I have an opportunity to buy a Jet planer/molder that is in very good
condition.
It's two-speed feed rate (10fpm/20fpm)
1 1/2HP motor
115V/230V
Max thickness 6 1/8"
Max cutting 1/16"
3 knives
Planing width 14"

Any comments on this? How would it compare to a modern portable planer?
Any horror stories?

I have it. I haven't tried it as a molding cutter, but it's a huge
upgrade to a portable planer.
You can take off 1/8 inch in one pass (maybe not on full width, but no
problem on a board 6" wide) , which I wouldn't try on a portable. It's
been a big timesaver. I'm kicking myself for not buying a full sized
planer years ago.

It has a built in mobile base. While it's not as good as some of the
normal mobile bases, it does the job, and it's a nice feature that
saves you some money.

When the infeed/outfeed rollers are properly adjusted, you get no snipe
at all. I still hold the ends of a long board, but the roller supports
are nice.