Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Stained cracks in ceiling

"Martin Bonner" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a Victorian-Edwardian terrace house with lath-and-plaster
ceilings. The ceilings have cracks in them ; what a surprise!
However, in one corner of the dining room (near the back window), the
cracks have brown stains running along them - perhaps half an inch
wide. I've just repainted the ceiling and the stains have come
straight through the paint.

Any idea what the stains are, and how I get rid of them?

Notes:
- The paint was Farrow and Ball casein distemper, which is close to
being the least impermeable paint known to man.

That really surprises me. Have you asked F&B about your problem? We always
find them very helpful and free with advice.

We painted the sitting room with discoloured cracked ceilings and walls with
F&B water based emulsion. There is no evidence of stain now.

(any one got a circular tuit going spare?)

Sorry, all ours are waiting to be used.

Mary