Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default energy loss through recessed lighting

wrote:
I've heard about this issue as well... where does the air escape from?
Are their holes in the fixture or around where the fixture meets the
drywall?

I'm curious if I should get the airtight units myself, as I need IC
type remodel fixtures.

Also, what kinda bulbs do you use in these things? I'm planning on
putting 16 in my 40x20ft living room in this pattern

____________________________________
x x x x |
x x |
x x |
x x |
x x |
x x x x |

could I get the wattages low enough to keep from sunbathing in my
living room?

Well you could use a dimmer with conventional lamps or use low wattage
CF's (Compact Florescent) and maybe wire them so every other lamp is on a
circuit A & B with separate switches. If you really wanted to do it right,
I would suggest home run wiring to the switch point so you can adjust the
lighting control as the use of the room changes. You may want to be able to
dim or shut off one wall for example if you are using it as a home theater
or brighten one wall if you want to emphasis some art work on that wall.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit