Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default WRITING SURFACE FELT

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 23:06:03 GMT, Smaug Ichorfang
wrote:

What about replacing the writing surface with leather? Seems like it would
provide a longer wearing surface, and can be found with surfaces just as
smooth (if not smoother than) felt, and in just as many colors.

I don't know if that's a historically *correct* way of doing it or
not, but I've seen plenty of antique desks with that solution, and it
looks great.

Seems like the best bet would be if you could get untanned cow hide,
stretch it in place while it's still raw, and then tan it in place.
It'll tighten up really well. Might be a little messy, but I knew a
lady who made drums like that a several years ago, and the drum heads
were very smooth and very tough- IIRC, she just let them dry, but I'm
sure there is some other way of dying and/or treating them. Tanned
leather tends to be a little softer and less suitable for a writing
surface- I'd worry about tearing it or leaving perminent dents in the
stuff if you don't use a blotter.