Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mathew Newton Mathew Newton is offline

Default Light Sensitive Pendant Fitting

wrote:

(Apologies if this is a bit O/T)

I'm looking for a light fitting or bulb that's light sensitive to turn
pendant lights on & off when I'm on holiday. I'd like to be able to
chose the number of hours it's on for (I just want it on during the
evening - not dawn to dusk) and it might be useful if I could adjust
the sensitivity.

Homebase do exactly what I'm looking for (it looks like this:
http://www.esp2office.biz/largeImages/0986782.jpg) but they keep
breaking & seem to be oversensitive - they turn on when a cloud passes
over in the middle of the day.

I've tried Maplins, B&Q, Screwfix & my local electrical shop for
something similar - but no joy. Any suggestions?

Michael

We've got a couple of exactly the type you've pictured and found them
to be perfect - the 'random' feature is particularly useful whilst
away.

I wouldn't worry too much about them coming on when a cloud passes over
- remember it's simply measuring the amount of ambient light hence if
it considers it dark enough then it'll switch the light on.... just
like you would if it went a little dark during the day due to cloud
cover.

As you only want it on during the evening then the random function
won't be of use (it operates throughout all periods of darkness)
however the timer function should still suffice.

Mathew