Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller Toller is offline

Default A modest proposal

I'm with you 100%!
I used to work customer service for a company that sold brass hardware, with
brass screws naturally. I got 5 complaints a day about this. Everyone
swears they drilled a pilot hole, waxed the threads, and used very little
force.
Not a damn thing I could about it; we used the best brass screws available,
but brass is soft and brass screws break. It was a real pain; probably as
bad as having to use the brass screws.
If it had been illegal, we could have used brass plated steel and everyone
would have been happy.

"Leuf" wrote in message
I hereby propose that brass screws be deemed weapons of mass
destruction, and that they all be gathered up and melted down. Anyone
caught attempting to distribute them shall be locked into prison and
held there until they can successfully install an entire 24" piano
hinge into hard maple without breaking any of their product.

And yes, I predilled everything right, and tapped with a steel screw
first. And then I broke the drill bit off in the hole trying to drill
out the screw. Of course.

-Leuf