Posted to alt.home.repair
Mort Guffman Mort Guffman is offline

Default Anyone know a good fix for this?

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 01:54:57 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I've seen at least a few cases with Kwikset. Kitchen door to the
garage. Hinges spring loaded (fire codes). AFter awhile, the latch
breaks. The only solution is to take the knobs off, and destroy the
latch from the door knob hole.

This was my take on it too, I think this is exactly what happened. I
got the knobs off both sides, exposing the inner assembly. It has a
square hole that the square shaft from the knobs turn. You can turn
the square hole, but the bolt unit does not retract from the door
jamb. However the other posters had some interesting ideas and I will
try the least destructive solutions first. Thanks very much for the
comments.

mort