Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] flb51notthis@comcast.net is offline

Default Anyone know a good fix for this?

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 01:22:33 GMT, Mort Guffman
wrote:

I was at a friend's house yesterday and saw this happen.

She went into the garagefrom the house and the door closed behind

her.
She couldn't get back in. The lock was unlocked but it broke. Turning
the knob wouldn't retract the bolt.

I took off the doorknobs to look but that really didn't help.

You had the right idea. Once you have the door knob off, completely
removed so that you can see through the hole. You should be able to
see either a 1/2 round / moon shaped object that you can rotate with a
screwdriver or a "T shape object that you can pull away from the jamb
side of the door towards the hinge. That should open the door.

-Lee

Does anyone know a way to solve this problem?

I didn't think to try prying the bolt back with a screwdriver or
credit card shaped tool at the time but it might work.

The lockset looks to be a flimsy cheapo bedroom unit. It has the
little button in the knob you turn to set the lock.

Any comments are appreciated. I do have a chainsaw by the way.

mort