Posted to alt.home.repair

Default amatuer drywalling

wrote in message
oups.com...

highflyr wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm finishing my bsmnt and when I'm putting on the light switch and
electrical receptacle covers, I'm realizing how amateur my drywalling
is.

I've bought the oversize ones and for the most part, they cover the
imperfections.

There are a few places where they hole was simply cut too big. What's
the best and fastest way to fix it? None of the gaps are more than 1/4
inch wide at most.

hf:

Patching plaster should work fine. Note that according to the NEC you
/must/ fill any gaps between electrical boxes and the surrounding
surface.
A lot of people don't do this.

Uh, doesn't that refer to gaps between the edge of the box and the surface
of the wall? (box set too deep, needing an extender ring.) IOW, no place for
sparks to land? I can think of no reason NEC would care about gaps outside
the box, as long as the device is tight up against the back of the cover
plate.

aem sends...