Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
Jonny Jonny is offline

Default sloped metal roof for a woodshed

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am building a 10 X 10 woodshed and framing it as normal framing. The
roof is going to be a 3/21 sloped roof and I was thinking of using
metal roofing from HD in 12' lengths (metal sales roof mfg.). I won't
be putting down any plywood under it, and just using 2X4 for the
rafters. I know I can attach the metal roof to the 2X4 rafters, but
what about a drip edge. I will only have a 2X4 eve around the whole
roof and the manuf has this large eve/drip thing that looks just like a
very large drip edge. Think I will have any issues if I just use a
standard aluminum drip edge insteal all the way around? This is my
first metal roof and I think I only need 4 sheets of this stuff (36"
each wide) and will have 12" overhang on each side (roughly). I live
in Northeast.

Depends which metal roof form you mean, could be flat or corrugated. The
parallel horizontal sides are no problem either type (if the corrugated type
has rafter tie-ins at the terminating walls parallel with the corrugations),
just the terminated inclined sides with corrugated type.

The corrugated type, if you want to keep out small birds etc., should have
some coverage to seal out all. I used blocking on the 2X4 rafter
terminations at each inclined wall end. Then, black mastic (roof repair
cement) along the corrugations paralle with the wall. Then backfilled
inside with spray insulation foam. Made it airtight as outbuilding served
as a wellhouse. One 40W light bulb keeps it warm enough in winter (central
TX).

I know you meant 3 on 12, so didn't ask. I would go with steeper roof.
--
Jonny