Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] flb51notthis@comcast.net is offline

Default Window Leaking - Help!

On 13 Nov 2006 07:28:12 -0800, wrote:

Dear group,

The top of my window is leaking water into my bedroom. I know that I
will need to caulk it, and I have caulk, however, I live in a very
rainy area and it's the rainy season. What should I do to create a
relatively dry environment for the caulking to even try to dry out?

If
anything, trying to protect it from the outside would be extremely
difficult, as it is a third story window.

Thank you for your time,

ps. Also consider I am a novice to home repairs.

Acetone will accelerate drying damp conditions.

I would think that water leaking into your home from the window is not
the real problem. Caulking might help, but some thing else needs to
be addressed. If you have siding, the top of the window should have a
flashing of some type. A "Z" type of head flashing or some membrane
should have been installed before the siding. FWIW

-Lee