Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default laminate floor tips?

wrote in news:1163445138.045532.69030
@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Any tips, do's, or don'ts for somebody considering installing laminate
flooring on slab in a bedroom? Is this an easy job for somebody who
hasn't done it before?

Replacing carpet. Already know I have to pull up tack strips, remove
baseboard, use a vapor barrier over the slab, and cut bottom of door
trim to clear the laminate flooring.

If the masonry nails from the tack strips leave any small holes/pits in
the concrete, do I need to patch them first?

Any other advice and/or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Jerry

As mentioned elsewhere, use a carbide tipped blade to cut the pieces. Had
a brand new high tooth count steel blade laying around. Figured I'd use
it. It was literally making smoke after 10 cuts. Switched to carbide and
it lasted the rest of the three floors. Many laminate surfaces contain
aluminum oxide for wear resistance. Aluminum oxide is the same stuff used
in automotive sandpaper for sanding metal.

There is a minimum width recommendation for the long edges against a
wall. You need to calculate it out before laying the first board. You can
measure one board but I found it to be very accurate (aka, came out
exactly as calculated) to take like 10 planks, snap them together,
measure total and divide by 10. Use this to do your calculations.