Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

Default Is my monitor really broken?

ha escrito:

lj_robins wrote:

wrote:
I recently acquired a Sun GDM-90w10 (rebadged Sony w900) 24" widescreen
crt. It is very old (manufactured Dec '97), but it was in remarkably
good condition and worked beautifully.

Tonight I returned home and switched it on, to find that while it made
the clicking noises that it usually makes as it starts up, it didn't
come on. Instead of the tube powering up with the typical "bong" noise,
it made an extra click noise, and the green light switched off, to be
replaced by the light next to it blinking orange. This LED has a symbol
that appears to be a crossed out lightbulb.

When I bought the monitor, there were no manuals for it, and the best I
could find on the internet was a a
href="http://www.sunshack.org/data/sh/2.0/infoserver.central/data/syshbk/Devices/Monitor/MONITOR_Color_24_Premium_CRT.html"spec
sheet/a, so I have been unable to find what this flashing LED means.

I do not believe that there should be anything physically broken in the
monitor, as (to my knowledge) it hasn't been moved since I used it last
week, but I can't be sure.

Did my monitor just meet it's inevitable end and wear out? Can anyone
help? Is all hope lost?

Try unplugging it for ten minutes, then try again.

If it still doesn't work try it on a different computer and see what
happens.

Do you hear it crackle when it powers up, will static cling make paper
stick to the screen, if not did it used to?

-Landon

The monitor crackles normally, but it doesn't seem to make any static.
It sounds like it tries to turn on, but a breaker/relay clicks at the
last minute.

do the bulb test and post results. have you measured any of the power
supply lines? you'll have to give us a few more indications if you
expect useful suggestions