Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default question on electrical service panel upgrade

Chris Friesen wrote:

I'm looking at upgrading my main service to 200A. I've got underground
service, and the existing service and meter base are rated for 200A.

However, the existing panel is mounted such that the highest breaker is
about 15" higher than current code allows.

Does anyone know how this is usually handled? Can I get grandfathered
in? I'm not sure how one would even go about lowering the panel given
that the wire for the existing circuits generally comes down from above
and is cut to fit the current height.

I'll be asking the local inspector, but they're closed today.

Thanks,

Chris

You install a good sized pull box above the new panel, at a suitable
height so the existing circuit wires will all comfortably reach inside
the pull box. You connect the pull box to the panel below with
relatively large conduit or conduits as appropriate. Inside the pull box
you pigtail all the existing circuits onto new wire from the new panel
below.

I've worked on several upgrades that were done this way and all were
passed by the inspectors with rave reviews.

Pete C.