Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default Solar panels-practical???

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 16:58:54 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
During the congressional debates there was a lot of talk about
alternative energy sources. They discussed wind power and roof mounted
solar panels. Where I live, the roof is covered with a foot (or more)
of snow during most of the winter. Solar panels would be useless.

First, we can't run this country (or much of anything) off of sunbeams.
There are 745 watts/sq meter of solar energy that falls on the earth's
surface. At noon. At the equator. With no clouds. The only way to increase
that number is to move the orbit of the earth closer to the sun.

The numbers from he
http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/aeo/pdf/trend_3.pdf
look like somewhere on the order of 4 trillion
kilowatt hours per year, or an average
of 456,621,000 watts.

At 750 watts, 40% of the time, at 40% efficiency,
you'd get 0.12 killowats per meter.
That only requires around 4,000 square kilometers.

I don't see the problem. find a chunk of desert
40 miles square, and go to town...