Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default Solar panels-practical???

On 12 Nov 2006 13:18:12 -0800, "Frank" wrote:

---MIKE--- wrote:
During the congressional debates there was a lot of talk about
alternative energy sources. They discussed wind power and roof mounted
solar panels. Where I live, the roof is covered with a foot (or more)
of snow during most of the winter. Solar panels would be useless.

Somebody did it locally - we have much less snow - and discussions
indicated a payback period of 20+ years. Don't think that counted
maintenance or putting the money in the bank and collecting interest.
I think it is a stupid idea to install solar panels today but strongly
recommend all environmentalists get them to start the ball rolling

If you use photovoltaic shingles, instead of special-purpose
panels, you get to subtract that cost of re-reroofing from
your capital expense.
http://www.oksolar.com/roof/

And somewhere I saw solar panels that stood in for the
entire roof-decking, but I can't find them now.