Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

Default amatuer drywalling

In article . com,
says...
After messing up box cutouts dozens of times I've found a rotozip tool
(or even a power drill with a rotozip bit) works well for cutting the
boxes right the first time. Just put the drywall up loose (about a
half inch off the studs is as far as you're gonna go for now) drill
right into the drywall somewhere inside the box (don't hit the box,
wires, children's toys or small tools like tape measures left in the
box for petes sake) then just run your bit around in the box quickly.
Then tighten the few loose screws, and finish the hanging.

RotoZip is an amazingly useful tool! I've used mine on pretty much
every project lately. Enough that I fear that I've about killed
it. :-(

Works on cieling too, but you've gotta put in a bunch of screws first
if you don't have one of those fancy lift things to hold the sheetrock.

If I were to do a ceiling again I'd rent a lift. Too much work any
other way. I do have a small patch (32"x36") I have to do in the
next week or so but that's not enough to bother.

If you've got a 1/4" straight cutting router bit, it might do the job
too...maybe... it might get gummed up a lot easier than a rotozip.

The sheetrock outlet cutter has a dead point to follow the box. A
router but (or even standard RotoZip bit) will cut right through
the box.

My last piece of amateur drywall advice: a case of beer and 2-3
friends are the best tools you'll ever have doing this job. Never
underestimate how fast a friend who has never sheetrocked before will
pick up the necessary skills to make it look decent, and it's a LOT
more fun this way.

One slight modification; don't open the beer until you're done.
BTDT. The next day the drywall looked like crap. Good thing
mudders know their stuff. ;-)

--
Keith