Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default connecting electrical cords in a home

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 20:44:56 GMT, (Beachcomber)
wrote:

If you are willing to take the time you can do a creditable job by
soldering the wires together, shrink tubing over the individual joints
and then shrink tubing over the whole spliced area and about 1-1/2" of
the cable jacket on each side of the splice. I can't comment on NEC
relative to that.

It takes a bit of planning and the correct sizes of shrink tubing. I
strip the wire ends only about 1/4" and interdigitate the strands before
flowing solder into the joint.

Works for me....But, if you don't have the equipment and skill, take the
safe route and buy longer extension cords.

It's not so much the splice, but the legality of having an open splice
in a non-approved box. There are temporary boxes for sale (for
locations like construction sites) with legal bushings, covers, etc.

If your slipshod spice causes a problem (fire, electrocution, injury)
you might be responsible for the damages.

Is this a low-voltage lighting setup, something inside the
walls, or an actual extension cord? The rules are different
for all the cases, and I, at least am not totally clear on
what you're trying to do, and why.