Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default halogen dimmer

Reinhard Zwirner wrote:

Homer J Simpson schrieb:

"Reinhard Zwirner" wrote in message

Hmm. As to my experience the triacs's gate normally is sensitive enough
to get the triac triggered by two zeners. BTDT: 24 V halogen lamp
controlled by a triac triggered by a "two-5.6-V-zener-diac".

But how does the zener help?

If we talk about two back-to-back zeners: to provide a defined, constant
threshold at which the triac becomes triggered.

On the other hand: for me it's just a quick and dirty solution for
replacing a faulty diac if there's no original replacement at hand.

Bye

Reinhard

You have to connect Zener diodes in series, not parallel, if you want
it to clip at the same level in both directions. Connect the two
cathodes or anodes together, and use the other set of leads to connect
it into the circuit.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell