Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Plywood Thickness for chair seat?

"Toller" wrote in message

Does it matter whether I use 1/2 or 3/4?

1/2 would be lighter
3/4 would be a little stronger and take a staple better

I don't see that it much matters, but never having done this before I

don't
want to do it and find out it did.
I've done that a few times already on this project...

Frame, or solid?

On frame w/webbing chair seats I plane poplar down to 5/8" for the frame.

3/4" plywood, heavily padded works just dandy.

But for a bit more comfort try 1/2" plywood, with a slotted seat portion,
for a little flex/give.

My favorite, if using an upholstered seat, is a frame made of 5/8" poplar,
with webbing covered by the appropriate amount of modern padding and then
the upholstery. Here's a picture of the bare frame, sans webbing, etc. to
give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/SeatFrame2.JPG

What I strongly advise is that after spending that much time on chairs, you
really want to do some research and maybe some prototyping of different
approaches before a final decision is made.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06