Posted to rec.woodworking
George George is offline

Default repairing "egg-beater" style drill chuck

"Par" wrote in message
No, not a power drill, the old fashioned "egg-beater" type. My problem
is that the three whatchamcalits in the chuck that grasp the drill bit
shaft are loose. I can get them in place, I can even use the drill to
make holes. Only they are flopping around in there when not "in use"
(i.e. when the chuck is not tightened up).

Any hints as to what I need to do to fix it?

I'd pick up either an entire replacement, if you can find the spindle
thread, or one of the "keyless" types of the same capacity used on work
arbors. They have springs and tapered jaws that close as the originals.

Still have one oddball compression spring in one for my lathe, so you might
be able to find one in the proper section at Menards or another borg. Next
time sweep the floor before you dismantle it, George....