Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Downing Richard Downing is offline

Default Removing a screw that has been butchered by the "professionals"

John Kelly wrote:
Some builder fitted my front door and it's swollen slightly with all the
rain we've had. It doesn't stick on the frame but it does rub against a
screw head which is sticking slightly proud of the frame. This screw has
no slots in it for the screwdriver. Any ideas on how to get it out?

Thanks

Centre punch the middle of the screw - this is important. Drill with a
small, say 3mm, twist drill to about 10mm depth - take great care that
the drill doesn't slip or break. If it breaks off in the screw you may
be royally screwed!!

Then use an 'easy-out' (http://tinyurl.com/ynxn6r) to remove the screw.
An 'easy-out' has a very coarse left-hand thread and is used with a
t-bar. Useful toolbox item anyway.

Alternatively, just drill out the offending screw completely, and then
plug the hole in the frame/door and fit a new screw.

R.