Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Morse Morse is offline

Default halogen dimmer

"lsmartino" wrote in message
ups.com...

Sammy ha escrito:

Thanks to all of you who replied.
The diac is split and measures 0.640 ohms in either
direction. marking on it: BTB04 600SAP.
Another similar diac on the board, for the 300w
halogen circuit, is high resistance both ways.
I'll find a replacement diac for the faulty one rather than
experiment with diodes.
There is so little space for diodes anyway.
A low value fusible resistor in the 12v circuit is o/c.

Please notice that a BTB04-600 *IS NOT A DIAC*. It is really a 4AMP
600V TRIAC.

I had a bad feeling that he didn't mean a diac!

Check for yourself he
http://www.st.com/stonline/products/...btb04600sl.htm

Before replacing it, you should find why the original exploded.
Probably you have a shortcircuit somewhere in the bulb wiring.

Maybe, but IME they can and do burst like that with halogen loads because
the bulbs present a very low resistance when they fail. Almost every time my
500 watt uplighter bulb used to fail it would take out the mains fuse, the
triac or both.

Morse