Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default bending 1/2 inch wide stock to a 3/8 inch radius

On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 17:29:06 GMT, "-zero"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
bending 1/2 inch wide stock to a 3/8 inch radius

I need to make a bracket for rear turn signals for my new-to-me '69
Honda cb450. I'm going to use a steel rod? [I don't know what you
call it. The Home Depot cash register calls it "flats"] 1/2"W by
1/8"T x about 18"L, and I need to bend it twice, 90 degrees at each
location, to make a rather square C shape, but the corners have to
have a 3/8" radius (to look good where it wraps around the luggage
rack. Can't figure out how to do this, and don't want to try too many
times.

snip

Get yourself a small torch kit with a bottle of mapp gas (yellow tank),

I might even have a bottle, just waiting for an occasion to use it!
This could be it. :-)

and in the same area as you picked up your flat bar, find a short piece of
3/8" round stock.

You mean 3/4 inch, right? So the radius is 3/8.

Vise up the flat stock pointing straight up, check that it's at 90° to
the
jaws of the vice then heat it at the bend until it's the color of your
favorite orange.

I don't like oranges. Why are there always problems at every stage?

Put the round rod (your 3/8" radius) in front of it
and easily pull the flat down towards you till your happy.

I"m getting happy already. Thanks a lot.

-zero