Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default Solar panels-practical???

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in
message ...
There are different types of solar panels.
One type converts sunlight to electricity, at whatever efficiency--I think
they're up to 15-20% now?

The other type simply captures the sun's heat, w/ much higher efficiency
(theoretically near-100%) using stuff like "selective surfaces", which get
super-hot in the sun.
These, being hot, would not be affected by snow, and could proly provide
most of your winter heat--assuming enough sun.

My BIL had a set of panels like that 15 years ago. Worked pretty good, then
they broke and the company he got them from was out of business. I chose
not to question him about it any further, so I don't know why someone else
couldn't have fixed them.

Much of the world gets their hot water from solar heaters. Except us of
course, cause we're rich.