Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon George E. Cawthon is offline

Default connecting electrical cords in a home

tr wrote:
Is there a safe and accepted (NEC) way to splice/connect two regular
electric cords/wire where the connection is not inside a box ? I have
a need to make a number of splices with regular extnsion cord type wire
(reasonably heavy duty) and it would be much easier if there is some
type of clip on type slicer. The lights came with clip on type
plugs....is there a similar splicing clip for connecting the wires

Thanks, TR

Don't think NEC has anything to do with extension
cords. There are a lot of ways of connecting
these. I hope you are not using extension cord
wire for permanent in house wiring! That would be
a problem.

Those clip on type connectors, where you push a
sharp point into the wire, should be left to low
amp uses--10 amps or less (you said it was heavy
duty wire so I assume more than 10 amps). If
appearance is not a problem, just solder the wires
together and wrap the joint with tape. If looks
is a problem the best solution would be to just
buy the cord in the lengths needed to eliminate
joints. Or, you could just buy plugs and sockets
and install on the cut ends and plug them together
(buying new wire lengths would probably be
cheaper). Or, you could buy and use plugs,
outlets, and metal boxes to connect the wires