Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub HeyBub is offline

Default Solar panels-practical???

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
During the congressional debates there was a lot of talk about
alternative energy sources. They discussed wind power and roof mounted
solar panels. Where I live, the roof is covered with a foot (or more)
of snow during most of the winter. Solar panels would be useless.

First, we can't run this country (or much of anything) off of sunbeams.
There are 745 watts/sq meter of solar energy that falls on the earth's
surface. At noon. At the equator. With no clouds. The only way to increase
that number is to move the orbit of the earth closer to the sun.

Assuming 50% conversion efficiency, it would take a solar collector the size
of the Los Angeles basin (about 1200 sq miles) to provide electricity just
for California. Then, too, there is the initial cost and on-going
maintenance. Plus Angelinos would be living in the dark.

That said, solar collectors for modest projects - such as water heating -
MAY be cost effective. Solar water heaters are cheap and easy to construct.
Their only drawback is a 55-gallon drum sitting atop your house.