Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default drip leak from turn of valve for main water pipe

Eric in North TX wrote:

I've never tried that, but it sounds like it could work, extra points
awarded for creative thinking.
There is usually a valve at the meter that can be shut off to make such
repairs. My local hardware had a key and valve turner they sold that
let you open the meter box and turn off the valve a crescent wrench
would do to turn it off, but the key is harder to substitute. That may
less than legal, but as Carlin said "Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it"

Given that every Home Depot and Lowe's I've ever been in (quite a few in
multiple states) has a big display of meter box keys and valve keys
(both surface box and deep street valve), I don't think there is much
issue at all. Remember that the meter has seals on it's screws and any
work to bypass the meter would be pretty obvious.

That said, a friend had the same problem and we just gave the water co a
call and they stopped by and turned off the street valve (could have
bought the $10 valve key if we wanted) and then stopped back after a
visit to the coffee shop to turn it back on when we were done replacing
the valve.

Pete C.