Posted to rec.woodworking
David O'Heare David O'Heare is offline

Default Question for guitar builders

"Paul O." wrote:

In looking at web sites for kits, Tele style, and I am looking at Music
Maker's site which has a tele kit with a Basswood body. I've heard of some
different woods for the body, but not Bass wood. Is this a good wood for
the body, or are they using it to just make the kit cheaper?

Teles (which in my mind include Broadcasters, "No-casters" and Esquires)
have been made by Fender with bodies made of pine, ash, poplar, alder, ash
with a maple center block, mahogany, rosewood, koa, ash with a spruce top,
various of the above with a maple cap, and basswood.

To my ear, the basswood, alder, and poplar Teles all sound about the same,
which is pretty good. They've got the sort of spanky top end that makes that
Tele sound, and they don't weigh a ton.

Dave O'Heare
oheareATmagmaDOTca